Sunday, January 6, 2008

A Tale Of Two Poems

Some years back,I took a sudden fancy to poetry.I jotted down some,and honestly speaking you couldnt spot even a trace of a rhyme or poetic beauty in most of them.They where just plain prose,with line breaks coming in at absolutely unnecessary places.The titles too,werent any great,and it wasn't long before I gave up on my latest fad.
Recently happened to come across two of them after a long time.These two seemed to be better,and though I could not find a better title for the second one,I thought I'll share them with you.
The first one seemed to have been inspired from the initial days of my then hectic software career.

TECHIE'S TRAVAILS

Monday comes along
Sunday slips away into the past
Friday waves from far away
And I am in bed,half conscious.

The alarm goes off. Damn it!
Damn me rather for setting it to go off at such unearthly hours.
I hope against hope that something has gone wrong .
Alarm might have been set to 4 AM by mistake,instead of 6.
But the sunlight peeping in allays my doubts .

Well,it's monday morning.
I sit up,groggy-eyed and drowsy.
Mom calls from downstairs
I wonder where she gets all this energy from .

Well,I must be off now,I realise.
Sheer will takes me to the shower.
I dress up,
The feeling of the darned tie wrenching my poor neck says it all.
The sight of equally unlucky souls at the office cheers me up.

Just 5 days like this,I tell myself.
To be back in the lap of that glorious feeling of nothing-to-do.
The same feeling,which made me sick,in those horrible jobless days.
This is much better,I console myself .

The thought of salary is vaguely comforting .
And as I get philosophical,the realisation dawns.
And I realise how lucky I am,to be here in this seat at Office.
A little chill down my spine
As the thought of the umpteen unsuccessful tests and interviews races back to mind.

I say a little prayer,and stare at my PC ,
Trying to figure out a pattern in that junk before me.
A curse for the (wretched) soul who created such meaningless(?) piece of material.
I say the prayer again,the junk gets more imposing .

Tea-vending machine is more humane,I feel .
At least it works when you want it to .

A cup of tea,and I am back to my seat,
With the software junk for company.
Two hours of mental wrestling,
Half my hair is strewn across the table.
At last it gives way(the junk,not my Hair) and I smile to myself.
You need to be brainy to crack it,and I feel good.
Wonder how I got the gumption to call it Junk.

Come On ! The day is not so bad ,after all.

Lot more junks,more e-mails and chat .
The days whizz past,great news!
But the deadlines too whizz past along with them ,bad news !
Desperate attempts to catch up,to no avail .
I start believing in miracles more and more.

Soon,Friday comes up,and another weekend .
Its party time.
Celebration of life,nothing less.
Absolute bliss,till the ill-fated alarm goes off once again

Such is life ,
Little disappointments,struggles and some joy at the end of it all.
A saying comes to my mind .
When you are about to fall from the edge of a Cliff,
God either rescues you,
Or He teaches you to fly.


---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The second one was inspired from a movie I saw,where the protagonist was a poor guy in love with a blind pretty girl.The guy just sells out the his guitar( his most loved possession, sob! sob! ) to raise money for his love's eye surgery.The surgery is a success and the guy is scared whether she would like him when she sets her eyes on him.The poor guy feels she would not like him,and out comes the poem.

THE SYMPHONY OF LOVE

The earth was bathed in moonlight ;
The sky,a hazy blue .
The leaves were sprinkled with silver ,
And the moon smiled from behind the clouds.

The cool wind blew ,
With breaths laden with dew.
And she lay on my chest ,
Lips parting into a smile,and eyes locked with mine.

She never saw me ,
She never saw anyone ,
But all saw her,a true marvel.
I sang to her,odes to her and her everlasting charm .

She lay,savouring my words.
As the wind soothened our tired nerves.
I was numb then,frozen with anxiety,
Even in the midst of the song and the moonlight.

Before the sun would bend down to kiss the oceans again,
She would open up to the world,
My asinine countenance and haggard frame would have to be the last thing to welcome her. The realisation shook me.

As the night melted away ,and sleep soothened our tired souls.
The day barged in.
And bought with it a hundred fears.
All about to materialise as shadows do from a lamp.

Her eyes were closed as she lay,
Wrapped in a serene charm .
And as I watched she opened her eyes ,
To the world ,which she had never seen.

I hoped the earth would swallow me,
The gale would blow me off,
But they were kind,and there I stood,
Facing the moment,the dreaded one.

Eyes closed,tears overflowing,I stood.
As her soft hands lay on my shoulders,
As dainty fingers wiped away the tears.
I opened my eyes,and stared blankly.

My misplaced fears vanished,
She had seen me with her mind,
Which had been a secret jewel-box,
Which I could never unlock,with both my eyes , and my ever so shallow mind.

Love overtook us,
As we stayed close, hearts beating in rhythm,
Whispering to each other,
Sweet nothings,from ear to ear.

The greatest music was born then,
Melting with the wind,lilting through the souls,
The loveliest symphony,
That the Universe ever listened to.

The symphony of Love.

1 comment:

Shyamala said...

i can understand the feeling that u have worded in the first poem...
the monotony of the software job, the abject despair in waking up at inhuman hours, and the rigmarole job itself, are so damn depressing.. i am yet to enter the so-called corporate life, but am well aware of the pattern that life takes once you become a part of it.
guess i have to brace myself up for that, the lazy bug that i am!
and for the second poem...well, am speechless. u have portrayed a beautiful truth in your verse...love surely is a connection of two hearts. physical appearance, skin depth beauty take the background, and pure, pious heartfelt love comes to the fore. love is the indicator of divinity in us mortal beings. it is the presence of the Supreme being in us. you have nicely picturised the anxiety of the lover, and have perfectly shown how his fears were proven baseless. "sweet nothings" indeed....

Powered By Blogger